Let’s get nutritious! Nutrition plays a huge role on the heart, lungs and your overall body function! Stick with us as we cover some smart habits to start small changes you can make now to improve your daily life.
Give It Up, Up, Up
You may have heard the saying, “It takes 30 days to create a habit.” When you think about nutrition, consider all of the foods that don’t make you feel great and energized. Most likely, these are all junk foods. While they may provide temporary pleasure, we often pay for the negative consequences later through poor skin, moodiness, tiredness and continual hunger. Start making good nutrition happen by giving up one area of foods that don’t do you any favors.
Let’s say your item or weakness is chips. Before you give these up cold turkey, make a list of some healthy alternatives. When you start to crave chips, you can snack on your pre-planned alternatives to satisfy the craving. It will get harder before it gets easier, but you can do it.
Say Hello to Colorful Friends
Your plate should be as colorful as the summer. This is the hallmark of a nutritious diet. It can be difficult to stick to a specific regimen, or dare we say diet. This is why focusing on portion control and exposing your body to a variety of fruits and veggies will be a simple way to give your body the vitamins and minerals it craves to function at its best.
Small Habits Build Big Changes
Change doesn’t happen overnight. It takes dedication and simple choices each day, one bite at a time. It doesn’t mean that you can’t have those delicious brownies or occasional soda. When you think of your nutrition, think of the 80/20 rule. When you have a nutritious diet 80 percent of the time, you don’t have to feel defeated when you have a treat the other 20 percent of the week.
These are some simple habits you can adopt:
- Pack a Lunch: Not only will this save you money, but by preparing your meals ahead of time, you won’t be tempted to swing through that sodium-filled fast food joint!
- Eat Slowly: It takes 20 minutes for your brain to know it’s full. Be sure you are eating at a steady pace so you don’t eat more than your body actually needs.
- Be Mindful: Too often, people eat their meals in front of their TV or while scrolling on their phone. Pay attention to what food you are eating to avoid eating mindless and needless calories.
- Start with Veggies: If it’s difficult for you to get all of your veggies in, begin each meal by finishing the vegetables on your plate first. You might be surprised how full you are afterwards!
We encourage you to stay healthy with these top tips! If you need a consult or item to help with that, we’re your go-to place.